"Swansea Village Historic District is a closely settled cohesive grouping of primarily residential and institutional buildings reflecting the town's development from the late 18th century to ca. 1939. The village displays vernacular and high-style residences in a range of architectural styles, as well as several architect-designed institutional buildings of town-wide significance."
HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE: "In the decades following the organization of the town of Swansea in 1657, certain prominent families amassed most of the land in what are now the five main villages in the town: the Gardners in South Swansea, the Barneys in Barneyville, the Luthers at Luther's Corner, the Hales in Hortonville, and the Eddys in Swansea Village. Although each village played an important role in the town's history, Swansea Village emerged in the late 19th century as the residential and institutional focus for the community."
More detailed information on The Colony Historic District can be found on the National Archives website: